Friday 24 February 2012

Sourcing Placement

A few weeks ago we received a lecture from Kirsty Miller and Karen Sleith about the types of work placements that are available to students along with advice on how to secure them. For me this lecture was very useful as I am keen to try and fix a couple of placements/work experience/work shadowing for over the summer months to give me a better insight into the industry. 

At mid point of the lecture we were asked to think about our personal branding - Biscuit question. We were asked to right down which biscuit we would brand ourselves to be like and why! I decided to pick a Twix - due to the fact that I feel I can have a strong exterior (the biscuit) but at the same time have a soft center (the caramel). This made me think more about the way I perceive myself and what are the best words to use to brand myself. 

Kirsty went on to talk about employers and gave some advice as to the best way of making a good impression. A few key points about what employers are looking for are someone with a good : attitude, approach, is flexible, self motivated, sociable, reliable, polite, punctual and focused - only to name a few. 

First Impression Counts - Smile, give eye contact, good posture, appearance and speech in a good pitch, tone and pace. 

The best approach to follow when contacting someone - Phone > Email > Keep a record > Follow up. It is also useful to have a name first, makes it more personal.

All this information have been useful to me and I will definitely use it when I start organising work placements. 

No comments:

Post a Comment