Sunday 20 March 2011

Assignment 4: Piecing it together

From carrying out the interviews about why do people collect stuff showed a number of different sides to why people think they do. There were some similarities that came up in a few answers, the items normally relate back to a person, mostly family members. Which brought me to think that things are kept for a sentimental reason, this makes we question whether or not the item would be kept if it had not been give to them by someone close/special to them. 


Whilst talking to one of the interviewees she mentioned that some people could hold on to things because they do not like to throw out things, none of the items have a meaning behind them. I found this point she made very interesting so thought I would go online to see if I could find anything that backed up what she was saying. I came across a website called essortment.com, it talks about ’compulsive hoarders’ which is a term I have never heard before. It means that the person accumulates things that most other people wouldn’t bother keeping. Some of the things that they keep are very bizarre and even at times if you asked them they wouldn’t even no why they kept it. This website lead me onto the ‘Understanding Obsessive Compulsive Hoarding’ website. It give details about it and says it is a link to being a form of OCD, the website then gives people the chance to explain why they do it. 


There are so many different reasons as to why people do it from the item being sentimental, passed down through the generations, don’t like throwing stuff away, might need it in the future, but this I feel is mainly about why people accumulate stuff. 


When looking at why people keep stuff I suppose does fit into the last area but I feel it is more about sentimental value of an item is why people keep most things. For each of the answers I got were about items that were given to them from someone, which I feel myself would be the reason as why I would keep a specific item. 


The interviewing process I found a little uncomfortable at the beginning, especially due to some of the people were not too sure what to say at the beginning making it much more different to get answers that were helpful. I think if I had made more questions and given more time on each of the interviews I could of collected better information. I will know for the next time I do an interview to answer the question myself first and then come up with some more questions that could make it easier to get more useful answers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment