Wednesday 2 February 2011

Assignment 1: Are You What You Wear/Buy/Sit On/Sleep In/Talk To?

Analysis and Deduction 


For the first assignment of semester two, we had to collect images of either yourself at various ages or images of your bedroom. We then were given a partner who we didn’t no and was from a different discipline to swap our images with. The task was to analysis these images to see if we could work out what that person was like. 


Whilst I was at home for Christmas I looked for pictures of me growing up but unfortunately I didn’t think that the pictures I had found were natural enough for this analysis so I decided that I would take pictures of my bedroom in Dundee instead. 


For the second part of this assignment I swapped my images with Hannah Doig from Graphics. We then had to analysis and write down our reactions to the images that we had been given. Here is a list of things that I thought about whilst looking at the pictures - my first reaction. 






  • Lives in a university bedroom/halls 
  • Is a bit messy - boxes filled with stuff - dirty plates/cups etc - lots of things sitting out
  • DVD collection - variety of taste
  • - very similar to my own taste has a lot of DVDs I also have
  • - more into girlie humorous films sex and the city, clueless, Bruce Almighty  
  • - but then in contrast likes Harry potter, Sweeney Todd and seven pounds
  • Magazines - into fashion - vogue
  • - This could reflect her style of clothing. (no clothes in sight to comment on this)
  • - Number of pieces of jewellery 
  • Likes patterns - bed cover - rug - piece of wallpaper - scarf’s 
  • Likes/enjoys a few alcoholic drinks vodka/ empty wine glass
  • Likes a bargain (Snapfacts book discounts) 
  • Sentimental - personal items - happy birthday tag (maybe from someone special) - Cards
  • Poster show a personal style and taste
  • - influenced by a certain type of style that’s in all the poster 
  • - likes to keep cards ( could have a meaning behind them to why they are kept)
  • Favourite colour - Green (although this could be the colour already on the walls/curtains)
  • Seems like a feminine/girlie girl - nail polish - perfume - Pink glasses - Pink cushion on floor 

Overall I think Hannah is a very girlie girl and a bit on the messy side although there are a number of things that have been organised (DVDs and posters) this could all be an organised mess. She likes to collect remunerable things and has a large variety of tastes in different things. 


Discussion 


As both Hannah and myself did not have time to meet up to discuss each others reactions we did it via email instead. 


On getting a response back from Hannah, she told me that in fact I was mostly correct particularly the point I had made about her being messy. Well maybe messy would not be the correct word to use, maybe clutter as she described it. This could possibly be caused by the lack of storage available in her room which always seems to be a problem in student halls but at the same time I feel this could just be the type of person Hannah is.  


Although I picked up on pink items which made me think that Hannah was a lot more girlie than I first imagined, I was then corrected that they were gifts giving to her on moving into halls. The other point that I said about her favourite colour possibly being green was also incorrect and was in fact one of my thoughts that it was the colour already on the walls when she moved in. So as I said at the start most of my reactions were accurate about Hannah, from her DVD collection to her being into fashion and overall being a girlie girl. 


When I was waiting on my response from Hannah on what she thought of me and my room, it made me feel a bit nervous/anxious. It was strange to think of someone making an impression of you from just looking at your room and your possessions. Although it has been proven that you can learn a lot from this as Hannah and myself have got each other pretty spot on.  


Here are a couple of images that I sent to Hannah are below.






Everything that Hannah said about me was correct which was very good but at the same time I find it strange that you can find out so much about someone from looking at there stuff. She picked up on the fact that I very organised and clean, that I like things being in the correct place and don’t like much mess sitting about which is such a contrast to Hannah‘s room. The main thing that she got correct was that I am very sentimental, I always have to have pictures of people and things that I have been given from that have a meaning behind them in my room. 


I think that over all Hannah and I did a good job at finding out about each other although at the same time I feel it could have been better if we has met up to discuss our findings rather than over email. I felt that doing it over email restricted you in actually explaining what you meant in a way she could understand. If I was to do this type of research again I would definitely meet up with the person to discuss it more. Doing this research has being very different to anything I have ever done and I found it very interesting. Actually being the research subject for me, I found it a bit strange as I didn’t know what to expect from the outcome but I wouldn’t mind doing it again as I know what was happening.

No comments:

Post a Comment